Spring Air Sommex Corporation – In a Nutshell
We are a manufacturer of mattresses that strives to make a positive difference in everyday life… one sleep at a time. By bringing innovation forward to practical application, we are providing great products for all budgets. Spring Air Sommex believes in the importance of proper sleep and the support that it provides to your overall health.
A Proud History
Since 1926, Spring Air has been widely recognized for its innovative products and quality sleep sets. Francis Karr, the legendary founder of Spring Air, was a visionary in the mattress industry. His free-end offset coil design, which adjusts to each sleeper’s weight, is now the most copied design in the bedding industry.
Spring Air Milestones
- In the late 1940s, the company introduced button-free technology, quilted surfaces and extra-supportive bedding materials.
- In 1953, Spring Air began producing its health center mattress which featured zones for different areas of the body.
- Manufacture of the Back Supporter mattress began in the early 1960s; sales doubled within seven years.
- The Pillow Top mattress was introduced by Spring Air in 1973.
- Natural fiber bedding materials such as silk and wool are introduced in the Four Seasons concept in 1988.
- Conforma Foam, which conforms to your neck, shoulders, and lower back, is introduced in 1991. Innovation continued with the introduction of latex and innerspring combination products.
- Today, Spring Air has a variety of collections designed specifically to address individual comfort and needs.
Sommex, a Québec company, was founded in 1973. It quickly became the number 1 selling brand in Québec.
Spring Air Sommex Today
In early 2007, Spring Air Canada and Sommex Company merged to form the Spring Air Sommex Corporation, a Canadian owned company. We can also proudly say that all of our mattresses are produced in Canada. Headquartered in Toronto Ontario, we have production facilities across the country to help better serve our customers.
Spring Air is the maker of the Back Supporter™, Comfort Flex™, Natures Rest™, Spaaah™, RéGéneration™, Contour Collection™ and the Pink Ribbon collection of sleep sets. Innovators and inventors, we are always creating new and exciting products to offer our evolving customers and their busy lifestyles.
- To meet everyone’s desire for great comfort in everyday life
- To create value for its customers
- To offer employee’s the opportunity to develop their individual talents
- To assume its responsibility as an organization within the community with a strong emphasis on quality, safety, health and environmental protection.
Group Values and Vision
- Team spirit
- Creativity and innovation
- Respect for the environment
- Respect for the individual
- Transparency and openness
- Focus on Canada
- Expansion through innovation
- Organic and geographical growth
- Targeted takeovers and strategic alliances
Corporate Social Responsibility
Spring Air began partnering with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation in 2005. To help raise funds to support the work of the Foundation, Spring Air created a line of product called the Pink Ribbon collection. Every time a Wish Pillow Top or Faith Firm Top is sold, Spring Air will donate a portion of the proceeds to support research, treatment, diagnosis and education. To date, Spring Air has donated over $200,000.00 to help support their vision of a future without breast cancer.
In 2007, Spring Air formed a partnership with the Children’s Aid Foundation. The CAF is dedicated to improving the lives of over 300,000 children across Canada who have experienced abuse or neglect through its many community-based programs. The collection of beds known as the Kids Sleep Revolution is designed specifically with a growing child’s needs in mind. Every time one of these products is sold, Spring Air will donate up to $15.00 to the CAF.
“This is a wonderful product for parents of school-aged children and it will doubly benefit our community because a portion of the cost will be used for child abuse prevention programs,” says Sheilagh Johnson, Executive Director of the Children’s Aid Foundation.
Spring Air is committed to reducing its carbon footprint through a variety of “green initiatives” such as the use and promotion of natural materials, waste management and a vendor/partner reforestation program. The recently introduced Total Balance Foundation is comprised solely of wood that has been supplied by members of the Forestry Stewardship Council.
The F.S.C. is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization that was established to promote the responsible management of the world’s forests. The F.S.C. is the only forest certification system that is supported by all major environmental groups. The members of the F.S.C. all voluntarily help to actively manage forests in a socially, economic and ecologically responsible fashion that will meet the needs of future generations. All harvested areas are renewed by replanting programs and natural regeneration practices.
- Consumer’s Digest Best Buy Award
- Mattress Challenge winner 7 years running
Products and Brands
| Back Supporter™
Chattam & Wells™
| Nuit Confort
Nuit Après Nuit